In most cases your website is the very first thing that most of your potential clients will see of your business.
They will probably see your website before they ever call you on the phone…
They will probably see your website before they ever walk into your business…
And they most definitely will see your website before they ever invest in your products or services…
In fact, studies show that even if most of your clients come through referrals, the first thing that a referred potential client will do in today’s market is visit your website before they decide to contact you directly.
So – It’s worth asking yourself if your potential clients are being drawn toward your business when they land on your website. Or, is your website design scaring away potential clients – or at least discouraged from taking the next step in contacting you when they land on your site?
Here are a couple of things that you can do to test the waters to determine if your website is helping or hurting your business:
- Take a look at 2 local and 2 non-local competitors websites and ask yourself how they compare with your site.
- How does your website look on a mobile device?
- Is your value proposition strong enough on your site? In other words, when you land on your home page is it perfectly clear what you do, how you differentiate yourself from your competition and what is the next step to take on the site – or what is the call to action?
- Are you forcing your website visitor to read ANY dense text on the home page.
- Does your website have a lot of animation and unnecessary movement that could be distracting visitors? Learn more here about how to use animation in the right way.
- Do your web pages take a long time to load? On average, users expect a page to load in less than 2 seconds or they will bounce.
- Ask 5 friends/colleagues to give you their honest opinion about your website.